Monday, April 27, 2009

My first-ever vegan sponge cake

By Tracy

<--BEFORE

Rose Elliott is a vegan-recipe genius.

I've never tried making a vegan sponge cake before, and many people think it can't be done, because traditional non-vegan sponges are so egg-reliant.

But since Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts, as I mentioned before, was so good for the vegan cream recipe, I decided to try out her formula for this too. (My first impression of her book, years ago, was that it was a bit simple and obvious -- but I had overlooked her gift for "veganizing" traditional items. A friend of ours in England used to make a really popular chocolate cake that she had adapted from a Rose Elliot book by doubling the cocoa!)

The trick is in using a small amount of soy flour mixed in with the ordinary wheat flour. The cake also contains orange juice, not enough to give it an orange flavour but enough to add colour.

I overfilled the cake (not that anyone complained) with strawberry jam and vegan cream, so it's a bit messy, but the taste and texture met with all-round approval.

<-- AFTER (& there is even less of it now...)

4 comments:

Growling Gecko said...

Wow! That looks fantastic and I am sure it was absolutely delicious. Did John have more than one piece?

Dr Mad Fish said...

Certainly looks good!

Mutually Said: Poets Vegan Anarchist Pacifist said...

"Did John have more than one piece?"

That would be telling!

Thanks for your comments...

Sanjana said...

Hi Tracy, please could you share the vegan sponge recipe? It looks amazing!